Sleep balms, also known as sleep salves or sleep aids, are topical products designed to promote relaxation and improve sleep quality. They typically contain a blend of natural ingredients, such as essential oils, herbs, and botanical extracts, known for their calming and soothing properties. The application of these balms helps create a sense of tranquility and can aid in sleep onset.
Many people struggle with racing thoughts or an overactive mind when trying to fall asleep. Sleep balms can help calm the mind and create a peaceful environment, which may facilitate the process of falling asleep. Sleep balms often contain soothing ingredients, such as essential oils like lavender, chamomile, and bergamot, known for their calming properties. Applying a sleep balm to pulse points or temples can help create a sense of relaxation and tranquility, making it easier to unwind before bed.
By promoting relaxation, sleep balms can potentially contribute to improved sleep quality. This can mean experiencing deeper, more restorative sleep and waking up feeling more refreshed and energised. Incorporating a sleep balm into a bedtime routine can be a calming ritual that signals the body and mind that it's time to wind down and prepare for sleep. Establishing a consistent routine can be beneficial in promoting better sleep habits.
We strongly believe that using natural products to support sleep instead of relying on pharmaceutical sleep aids is beneficial for the body and mind. Sleep balms often contain natural ingredients and essential oils, providing a potentially gentler and non-habit-forming alternative.
Here are a few well-regarded European brands that offer sleep balms and oils:
- This Works. This Works is a popular British brand known for its sleep-focused products. Their sleep balm combines essential oils like lavender, chamomile, and vetiver to promote relaxation.
- Badger Sleep Balm. Badger is a US-based brand, but its products are available in Europe as well. The Badger Sleep Balm contains a blend of lavender and bergamot essential oils, known for their calming effects.
- Kneipp Good Night Bath and Body Oil. Kneipp is a well-known German brand that specialises in bath and body care products. Their Good Night product range is designed to support restful sleep. It contains pine and amyris extracts, both known for their soothing properties.
- Flow Cosmetics Goodnight Sleep Balm. Flow Cosmetics is a Finnish brand that focuses on organic and natural products. Their Goodnight Sleep Balm contains calming essential oils like lavender, chamomile, and ylang-ylang, which are known for their sleep-inducing properties.
- Weleda Lavender Relaxing Body Oil. Weleda is a Swiss brand with a wide range of natural skincare products. While not a balm specifically, their lavender relaxing body oil can be used for a calming massage before bedtime to promote relaxation and sleep.
A more recent substitute for balms are air sprays, they are great for unwinding and creating a relaxing environment. Here are some of our favourites: Puressentiel Rest & Relax Air Spray; Puressentiel is a French brand that offers a variety of natural products. They have a rest and relax air spray that contains a blend of essential oils, including lavender, sweet orange, and mandarin, to create a calming ambiance for better sleep. Relaxing Pillow Mist by L'Occitane, a French brand, offering a relaxing pillow mist that can be used in conjunction with a balm.
It's important to note that while sleep balms can be a helpful addition to a bedtime routine, they may not be a solution for underlying sleep disorders or serious sleep disturbances. If you have chronic or severe sleep issues, it's advisable to consult with a healthcare professional for a comprehensive evaluation and guidance.